How to migrate from PUB1 to PUB400
If you already have a free user account on PUB1, migrating to PUB400 is rather easy. Please follow these steps:
- First, clean up your data on PUB1. Delete files not needed and delete old TMP* libraries.
To avoid confusion, it is advised to move all objects from your second to your first library.
For example, if your user name is TESTER, you have libraries TESTER1 and TESTER2.
Move all from TESTER2 to TESTER1 so TESTER2 is empty.
(we will use these names in the following steps. Adjust to your user / library name)
- On PUB400, register your new free user. It will not be created automatically.
Please review the
start page of PUB400.COM for the registration process. If possible, try to use the same name as on PUB1
- On PUB1, create a save file in TESTER2 named TESTER1:
- On PUB1, save your library TESTER1 into that save file:
SAVLIB LIB(TESTER1) DEV(*SAVF) SAVF(TESTER2/TESTER1)
If you run into storage problems please drop a note to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download save file
Now grab this save file to your PC so you have a local copy:
- On your PC, use an FTP client like Filezilla or do the steps manually in a DOS command window:
(Please enter all commands exactly as written)
- On your PC, CD to a free directory, e.g. c:\temp
- C:\temp> FTP PUB1.DE
- (signon with your PUB1 user credentials)
- FTP> CD /qsys.lib/tester2.lib (which is the source directory in IBM i name format 1)
- FTP> BIN
- FTP> GET TESTER1.SAVF
- FTP> QUIT
Now you have a file TESTER1.SAVF on your PC. Do not change the name extension!
Use these steps as a general method to backup your data - the procedure on PUB400 will be the same.
Send to PUB400.COM
Now we need to send this save file to PUB400.
- On your PC use the FTP client again.
- c:\temp> FTP PUB400.COM
- (signon with your PUB400 user credentials)
- FTP> CD /qsys.lib/testerb.lib (which is the target directory in IBM i name format 1)
- FTP> BIN
- FTP> PUT TESTER1.SAVF TESTER1.SAVF (Important: enter the file name twice!)
- FTP> QUIT
logon to PUB400.COM and verify that your save file has been transferred correctly:
- DSPSAVF TESTERB/TESTER1
The display "Display saved objects" should tell about the contents of the save file. If you receive an
error message, delete the File and retransfer.
- to delete a save file, the general command is: DLTF TESTERB/TESTER1
If the transfer is ok, you can delete the save file on PUB1 to save disk space.
To load the contents of the save file, we have special commands. They will restore the data into a temporary
library so you can grab what you need.
- RESTLIB replaces RSTLIB - to restore a save file created with SAVLIB - please enter RESTLIB and press F4
- RESTOBJ replaces RSTOBJ - to restore a save file created with SAVOBJ - please enter RESTOBJ and press F4
These commands will verify your save file, and restore to a library named TMPxxxxxx so you
can copy them into your normal libraries again. You will receive messages about the process.
- Enter RESTLIB (press F4 instead of the enter key)
- Saved library = TESTER1
- name of your save file = TESTER1
- Library = TESTERB
Your /home directory in IFS
If you have some objects in your home directory /home/tester we need a second save file
and some different restore process. Please note - the following steps will work only if your user name
on PUB400 is the same as on PUB1. If you have a different user name, please contact us for your IFS files to be migrated manually.
First we create the save file TESTERX in library TESTER2:
- On PUB1: CRTSAVF TESTER2/TESTERX
- SAV DEV('/qsys.lib/tester2.lib/testerx.file') OBJ(('/home/tester')) (Please check your typing and change path and file name accordingly!)
The transfer of your save file TESTERX will be done the same way as written above. To restore your home directory, enter:
- On PUB400: RST DEV('/qsys.lib/tester2.lib/testerx.file') OBJ(('/home/tester'))
You should receive a message like "xx objects restored". If not, please contact support.
Now you're done and should be able to work with your files on PUB400.COM